Do you offer a leakage allowance?

If a leak on your service pipe has caused your metered bill to rise, we will usually offer you a full allowance to reduce your water and sewerage charges to your normal level. To apply for one, complete this online form.

An allowance will not be given where a leak has been caused through negligence by you or anyone acting on your behalf.

The allowance claim must be made within the current charging year and can be backdated to a maximum of two years. The allowance will only be made once the leak has been repaired.

To benefit from a second or subsequent allowance, you will be asked to demonstrate that you regularly monitor your supply, for example, by recording meter readings at monthly intervals and acting promptly to deal with any unexplained increase in usage.

If you suspect you have a leak, or you notice water escaping anywhere, please report the leak.